Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Major OCC announcement

This announcement affects the future of this website at least in the short term.



I feel lately that the Old Country Corner has sort of fallen in to a rut. I feel as though we've gotten content and are in a comfort zone. I think that it is time to break out of that comfort zone and explore some new territory.

What am I talking about as far as a comfort zone? I think that this blog has fallen in to a pattern of repetition. All of my TNA recaps are an example of this. Sure, the jokes may be different every week and they may even be funny periodically but the jokes are all based around the central themes. Vince Russo is retarded, and TNA is random and wacky and a cheap copy of WWE.

Whenever, I post news about ECW the joke may be different but it always echos the same theme which is that ECW is a wasteland. Now, all of those things are true, but they have become our crutch. They're old and reliable and they're easy. The Sheiky humor is another example of a crutch. Stuck for something to say, then just toss in a great feeling I had all-time all my life and there you have it. Again, its not that its not funny its just that no new ground is being broken.

I feel like I am creative enough and that I have creative enough people posting here that this site can be more than it is. Lets face it you can go to a billion wrestling boards and find people talking about Russo's mental faculties, TNA and ECW's constant battle to see which show can be worse, and even Iron Sheik lines in every post. So in that sense we're just another place that does it, ok maybe to some we're funnier about it than everyone else but if someone came upon this site they might not realize tht before they've decided its just another Anti-ECW-TNA-Russo site like all the others. When you add in the fact that we've got multiple contributors making the same points on the same premise it just reads like a group of posts with 1 thought between them.

I speak only for myself when I say this but I feel my writing has gotten lazy. Yeah, maybe I make different jokes in every iMPACT recap but really the central points never change. Part of that is the fact that TNA never changes, but why should I criticize TNA for never thinking outside the box when I hit the same nail with the same hammer every week myself?

So, I want to break this site out of its rut for awhile. I want to get the creative juices flowing a bit and see if we can't come up with some new ideas for how we write and what we write about.

I wouldn't want someone to come along and look at this site and go, they made the same joke in January-December-November-October-so on. So it is time for some new ideas to spring forth.

I know Euan is the Minister of Holidays Fuuuuuu~! but as this is not really a holiday so to speak it falls in my territory.

I proclaim that February is to be creativity month here at the OCC.

I'll explain what that is a little better here in a bit.
Initially, I was thinking that it needed to be Positivity month at the OCC but then I realized that sometimes shows are bad and there's nothing positive to say about them. However, I feel as though we've just gotten to the point where its "This show was bad because Vince Russo is retarded". Again, while that's true its not exactly a big revelation. I do intend though to point out certain things that I do find positive because believe it or not, even in the horrible state that iMPACT is in there are a few bright spots for me, that often get overshadowed by my hatred for all things random and wacky that happen on that show. As I said, its easy to just stick with what works and never change just ask Vince McMahon.

So, what is Creativity month? It is a chance to look for new concepts and to freshen up old ones with new material. I urge all OCC contributors to think outside the box. If you've got an idea for something you'd like to write about or try that we haven't done here, this is the month to go for it. If you look at your writing and see a reliance on a certain bits or jokes over and over again, think of ways to change up the material. There is some creative talent here, and so now is the time to flush things out. Not everything will be a winner, the law of averages proves that to be true, but hopefully we explore some new ground to freshen things up a bit.

Now, here's where it gets tough...I've come up with a ban list of points that I think get made too much and thus are off limits from 02/01 to 03/01.


Vince Russo's mental Faculties and his booking in general. ECW's wasted existance, TNA's random and wacky existance. The fact that these are on the banned list doesn't mean they stop being true or that they won't continue being true in February. They are just points that we've made over and over and over again. My hope is that when they come off of the banned list that we will have added some new material to our portfolio and so when it comes time to go to a well for material we're not going to the same well over and over again.

I'm not criticizing the work of anyone other than myself, looking at the banned list, I'm the chief offender on every single one of those things that will be taboo for the next month. I laugh a lot at a lot of what I read here and even amazingly some of the things that I write. I just think that its time to think outside of what we're used to doing.


One more thing, for the month of February I want all Sheiky related commedy to be restricted to This Day in Sheiky History. Sheiky is like our finishing move, the people pop for it, the people want to see it but if we hit it 6 times in 1 match it won't mean as much. The other stuff on the banned list are like our secondary spots, they can be a nice part of our work but changing them up periodically isn't a bad thing.

I want to be the leader of the pack, not just another dog. So, if you write for this blog and have an idea no matter how far fetched you might think it is, go for it. We're looking for unique it might start out rocky but it can be refined later...which is not true if you never show it the light of day. Also if you read this and have something you'd like to see, feel free to either suggest it or offer to write it yourself.

I just now thought of a concept that I don't see being done that much that would be right up Art's alley I think, so perhaps I'll suggest it to him.

I've also got a couple of things I'm seriously considering.

I'm eager to see what kind of new jokes/points/ideas we all come up with by the end of February and I think when some of the old stuff makes its return it will actually be a little fresher and een possibly missed in its absense. So, my last comment to everyone would be to just have fun with it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ric Gillespie said...

Does this include me, because I'm about as uncreative as Vince Russo's... Ooops. See what I mean?

1/30/2007 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home