Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Monday, March 26, 2007

Dennis Dodd shows us the way.

I want you to click Here and Basque in the brilliance that is Dennis Dodd.

You need to click continue reading if you want to know what I think, and trust me you do.


I think it is down right brave of this man to sit behind his keyboard and take shots at Wrestling fans. I mean I can't believe that nobody else had ever thought of that until he came along.

Then he goes on to write a whole column about College Football. You see, nothing illegal has ever happened in college football. No college football player has ever been arrested for breaking and entering, rape, carrying drugs of any kind or charged with sexual harassment. In fact, no man has ever been charged with stabbing a teammate in order to win a starting job So we wrestling fans should take a lesson from the upstanding citizens in college football. It isn't just the student athletes though, the Universities themselves are above reproach. No school has ever violated NCAA rules regarding payment of athletes, that is just unthinkable that schools would pay players under the table or look the other way while boosters pay them under the table to play for that school.

I mean, I clearly remember the last WWE star charged with assault, but I can't remember any instance of a college football player trying to stab someone
Perhaps we should turn our attention to the pro game. I mean it is not as though we have a website keeping track of player arrests and it isn't as though any of the players that do get in trouble in the pros had ever gotten in trouble in their college days. I mean that thing only happens in the pro games. Oh, and no football player college or pro has ever been found taking steroids, that's just a wrestling thing.

But, forget about the players or the Universities. The real person that we should follow down the path of truth, justice and the American way is Dennis Dodd himself.

You see in that column Dodd says absolutely nothing that would ever get him mistaken for a hypocrite of the highest order. He most especially does not show his hypocrisy with the following statements.

I know for a fact that literally tens of his fans (translation: all of them) responded. Apparently, their baby sisters weren't using the crayons at the
moment.

Apparently you mouth breathers think he's a pretty cool guy. However, I felt a lot better the other day -- vindicated would be the right word -- when ol'
Edge was linked to a nationwide steroids investigation.

Steroids? Wrestling? How could it be?

Just another black eye for the squared circle, eh? Hard to believe, really, that all those sun-lamp tan, oiled up "athletes" were actually breaking the
law (allegedly) while stealing your entertainment dollars.

I want say "cheating," but cheating whom? Those of you who care think this stuff is real anyway. I don't want to ruin the fantasy.

WWHHT. What Would Hulk Hogan Think?

He'd think ya'll would go down to the collectible store and buy his latest figurine.

Please stop bothering me, Wrestling Fan. Captain America's dead, too. Hasn't there been enough fantasy-world tragedy for one week?


and

I hope you read this one. I'm German-Irish, raised in the U.S. and now I take offense to Notre Dame using the Fighting Irish as its mascot.

How do I (contact) the NCAA to stop this? This is my point about the NCAA. They are allowed to make colleges do what they say and they don't give a damn
about the education part.

Old Country:

You must have read me. I have been ranting since the day the NCAA started strong-arming schools about their mascots.

Either the mascots are abusive or they aren't. Why does Illinois (a state and university named after a group of tribes, by the way) have to get rid of its
mascot (Chief Illiniwek) but Florida State is allowed to keep its guy (Chief Osceola)?

Answer: Florida State has a business arrangement with the Seminole tribe.

So, money makes it OK? When did a financial transaction trump racism? Like I said, a mascot is either abusive to a culture or it isn't.

My prime example was Fighting Irish. To me, it conjures up stereotypical images of drunken Irishmen.

If you want to do something about it, please contact NCAA president Myles Brand, 700 W. Washington Street, PO Box 6222, Indianapolis, Ind., 46206-6222.


Let me say 2 things, one the emailer has a great name. Two, you may have missed the non-hypocritical part so I'll re highlight it.

My prime example was Fighting Irish. To me, it conjures up stereotypical images of drunken Irishmen.


You see Mascots that promote generalizations and stereotyping are bad and we should get rid of such things.

I guess Dennis believes that it is unfair to lump all people that have something in common say for example: race, heritage, gender, religion, or I don't know a hobby as all being the same because they share that common trait.

Its a good thing that Dennis himself would never be guilty of this, especially not in the very same piece where he condemns such things.

Now I would never encourage you to contact Dennis and thank him for not being a hypocrite. I most certainly would not also remind you that if you do give him gentle praise for his work that you keep it civil so as to not add fuel to his fire.

One more thing I wanted to say.

From Dennis' bio.

Dennis' grandfather Daniel Barnard was a legendary amateur soccer star in St. Louis in the 1920s.


You see, given this fact I think we should all honor Dennis' grandfather by ceasing to be wrestling fans and all becoming lovers of soccer. You see, soccer fans are the most upstanding fans in the world that have never, ever done anything like say start riots. So lets just abandon the caveman like exhibition that is being a wrestling fan and turn our attention to becoming more admirable people like fans of soccer.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ric Gillespie said...

Casey, I think I love you. Not in a pro wrestling, mouth-breathing kind of way, but in a legendary-amateur-soccer-player kind of way.

3/26/2007 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have breaking news. The Money in the Bank match has been changed to HGH in the Case match.

And although I am a Georgia Bulldog fan I am also a HUGE Fighting Irish fan. They have so much history and one day I would love to step on the grounds take a deep breath and say wow

3/26/2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger Casey Trowbridge said...

Thing is I love me some football, but saying that wrestlers are comitting illegal acts while robbing us of our entertainment dollar is at a new standard of rediculousness that Vince Russo couldn't achieve if he had a billion poles.

3/26/2007 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home