Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Chuck Liddell admits to partying before UFC 71, makes no excuses for loss

In a Los Angeles Times article Chuck Liddell, love him or not, proves to be the anti-Tito Ortiz as he makes no excuses for his loss at UFC 71.

First, Liddell confirms that he was out partying the week of the event.

"It's nothing that I've never done before; it was just like any other fight," Liddell said. "I just go and hang out. I don't drink. I just kill time, hang
out with friends at whatever club they're at. I've been doing that as long as I've fought in Vegas."


Don't tell that to anyone at ESPN cause people like Jay Mariotti of the Chicago Sun Times would have you think an investigation need be launched.

More behind the cut:

On the loss, Liddell had the following to say:

Liddell dismissed the importance of his clubbing, insisting he's a nocturnal person who sleeps late, usually trains at night until about 9, then visits
with friends. He said he did the same things before beating Tito Ortiz twice in Las Vegas.

"If you lose, people are looking for a reason other than the fact I just got beat," Liddell said. "I obviously made a mistake [in the octagon]. I did something
I've been told for years not to do: throw a body shot to the outside like that. It seemed like [the opening] was there."


If the partying was a mistake, it was because it served as motivation for the Jackson camp.

Juanito Ibarra, Jackson's trainer and manager, said he was told early last week by members of Jackson's entourage that they had seen Liddell partying at
clubs such as the Hard Rock Hotel's Body English and The Mirage's Jet.

Ibarra seized on it as a motivational tool, arguing against Jackson's initial response of, "That's Chuck's business."

Said Ibarra: "That shows disrespect and I told Rampage that, 'He doesn't respect you, son,' I know I'm old school but if that was my kid out there I'd be
[upset.] If he thinks he's so good, that he can take me so lightly to think he can stay up so late … that's disrespect."


So, I guess you could argue that it did cost Liddell depending on how much stock you put in to needing motivating factors for a fight. Thing is, you'll never hear it from Liddell.

Somehow I don't think you'd hear the same things from Tito "The Huntington Beach Excuse Boy" Ortiz.

I pick on Tito because its easy.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home