Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Sunday, August 27, 2006

UFC 62 Review

Watchers tonight were:
Scott
Myself
and making his UFC debut Wade

My thoughts behind the cut:


I expected a bigger crowd, we spent $50 on food and had lots of it left over when we were done. Oh, you want to know what I thought of the show?

Well, for me the day in fighting started out by catching the Parysian Vs. Sanchez fight from Fight Night Live a couple of weeks ago. That was one awesome fight and maybe fight of the year although you can definitely make an argument.

Wade didn't have to work Sunday making his participation happen. I was glad to have him so there was more than a group of 2.

The show was pretty good. It was a zillion times better than UFC 61 in July.

I thought that the best fight was Bonner/Griffin and I didn't have a problem with everyone scoring it 30-27. You could make an argument for Bonner in the second round I suppose, but really you can make an argument for Forrest also and that's why its a judgement call. I guess people were booing because they didn't think it should've been 30-27 but really the booing made no sense to me.

Well, one of my 2 dark spots on the night was Diaz defeating Neer. Don't get me wrong I love Nick Diaz, but I think he's more Nick Diaz when he loses if that makes any sense at all. It was a decent fight. In fact nothing was what I would call horrible, so its hard for me to give a worst fight.

Hermes Franca Vs. Jamie Varner was a good way to start the show. I am a huge fan of the 155 Lb division. I didn't quite understand why time out was called giving Varner a chance to recover, its a good thing Franca won anyway. I might have felt robbed had it happened to me and I eventually lost.

Random note, my apartment still smells of BBQ sauce and no we didn't get Jim Ross' BBQ sauce, though maybe someday.

Kongo Vs. Wellisch was another decent fight. I'm saying that a lot about these fights I suppose, but other than saying good I don't know what else to say about a lot of these. Kongo could be a force in the heavyweight division which to me is not one of the strongest that UFC has to offer. Sylvia, Arlovsky, Monson, Kongo...I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that is already in UFC that I'd like to see fight for the heavyweight title.

The main event: Liddell Vs. Sobral didn't go exactly as I expected it would, on another note neither did Bonner/Griffin as I predicted it wouldn't go the distance, shows how little I know. Liddell and Sobral ended sooner than I thought it would which given that Bonner/Griffin lasted longer means it all evens out.
I thought this was a good 90 seconds of action anyway. I thought that I would much rather watch this main event than that from UFC 61. Chuck Liddell is a machine. I'd love to see if he can beat Wanderlei Silva but the fact of the matter is that the Silva fight is up in the air. I highly doubt that Tito can beat Chuck. Liddell is just a machine, I thought the fight would last longer but in no way am I surprised that it ended so quickly.

Definitely a thumbs up show. The 2 dark fights that aired were a blur to me as I got really tired after the main event. I know I got the Shafer fight wrong and the Gouveia fight right.

I also know that Ric got the pick crown from last night with a 6-1 record (of fights aired) whereas Art and I were 5-2 (in fights aired) my math subject to error.

Hopefully, Wade will blog about the experience of his first UFC show. Wade for those that haven't noticed the contributors list has signed on as a contributer to the blog.

I'll rap this up for now but will be back with more later.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home