Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

OCC Movie Review, Open Season

Firstly, I'd just like to say that I should just stop going to the theater. It seems that every time I go, I lose something. When I saw Over the Hedge it was my wallet. This time, its my cell phone. Ug!

Anyway, the film:


I'm going to tell you something that should reveal quite a bit about how I felt about this movie while at the same time revealing nothing about how I felt about this movie.

I've seen better.

...

But, I've seen worse.

This on the whole was not a bad film. It had its funny moments and a lot of the jokes were meant for adults more than children. A line about Bros before Doughs and a character hearing the word "fight" and saying "did he just say the F word?" come immediately to mind.
I must have missed the law when it was passed but apparently every animated film that isn't from Pixar is required to have a fart joke and there are a couple in this one. Oh, yes I know that even Pixar has used the fart joke so they don't get off scot free here. Now, in all fairness those jokes did get big laughs including I must admit from me so it is not hard to understand why studios keep plugging them in.

The voice acting was fine and by that I mean nobody seemed out of place. I said it was fine but really the fact that nobody seemed out of place is a compliment that goes far beyond simply being fine.

The story is a little redundant. Its about an animal in this case Boog a Grizzlie Bear having to get used to new surroundings. Actually its kind of like Madagascar in the sense that Boog is domesticated and is then transplanted into the woods. So given I saw that same story in Madagascar and the Wild as well as this picture you can understand why I might find it a little redundant. Toss in Over the Hedge which was the opposite story and you've got a lot of animals needing to get used to new surroundings. We're not done with these animal films either as I saw trailers for 3 animated films tonight and all of them are about animals. (Flushed Away) (Happy Feet) and (Surfs Up).
The way it differs is that this ends up being animal against Hunter [man] instead of animal against animal (Madagascar) or animal against himself (the Wild).

The musical score I thought was just there. It didn't detract from the film in any way shape or form but I don't think that it played with my emotions either. It didn't inspire any feeling in me and that is to me goal one of a musical score.

All in all I'd say this a good first effort from Sony Animated Pictures. I'm not looking forward to Surfs Up but that first trailer isn't always a great indicator. I saw the first Incredibles trailer and couldn't have been less interested in the film but now it is one of my favorite movies of all time all my life.

So besides the fact that it was yet another animated film about animals and besides the fact I lost my cell phone, everything else was great.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home