Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Saturday, April 14, 2007

DVD Review: UFC 'Ultimate Iceman' Chuck Liddell

I gave this disc a spin this morning and I've got a few thoughts.



If I had to describe the DVD in 1 word, that word would be underwhelming.

The documentary gives a glimpse in to the life of Liddell, but it is just a glimpse talking about his growing up, going to college and getting in to MMA.

Once we get to his UFC fights we're treated to the major fights getting more discussion, and the rest being covered in quick clip form.

They talk about Tito Ortiz ducking Liddell and not wanting to give him a shot and nobody on the documentary is even close to diplomatic on the subject. They say that Liddell tepped aside so Ortiz could fight Ken Shamrock and on that same show he wanted to fight Babalu but they (the UFC) were against it but ultimately, Liddell won out.

So next they cover the first fight with Couture, then finally the Tito fight and then all of his major fights up through UFC 57.

In short, this DVD was probably targeted more to the newer UFC fan than those who follow the sport. Sure, I guess in a sense I'm a newer fan, but I'm not your typical new fan in that I'd been reading about the sport for years before watching it and have thrown myself in to it beyond the point you could call me casual. So, most of the stuff covered was either stuff I knew or had at least heard glimpses of and to me it lacked depth.

If there are any extras on this DVD, I haven't found them yet. So if you were hoping to gather a lot of Liddell fights in one spot, this will not be a DVD for you.
The hardcore fan of Liddell will probably buy this disc anyway, and someone looking to learn more might benefit but I can't shake the feeling more could've been done. Worse, I can't shake the feeling that more will be done eventually and we'll have to pay for another compilation down the line.


I give it a C-.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Art Shimko said...

that sucks considering how awesome this could've been. Maybe this is a case where UFC needs to watch WWE DVDs and see how they put together bios and extras.

4/14/2007 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home