Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Monday, June 25, 2007

Chris Benoit link compendium

Rather than make several posts with links, I would ask that all of my co-contributors put links in this post by clicking the edit post link provided.

Post updated throughout the day.

For the sake of Ric's ego, I'll point out that he had virtually all of this stuff long before anyone. However, given his links aren't archived for good and given that people may wish to revisit this in the future, I'll give him his Link and say once again he was pretty much first on everything.

All links behind the cut:



ABC News has a story here

This is Wade and I found an article from one of my e-mail accounts for this, which has updated information, as well as this one from Wrestling Observer and an updated report.

Casey, and this statement is on WWE.com

Double murder-suicide

It has been ruled that the deaths of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their son Daniel earlier today were the result of a double murder-suicide from within


Wade, and this is the tribute video for Benoit on WWE.com, as well as videos from RAW and Smackdown , a Benoit Retrospective article and photos of Benoit.

more here from the observer talking about the events of Sunday.

Smackdown and ECW plans

Wade here with a video of Good Morning America's update.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that Benoit strangled Nancy on Saturday night Smuthered Daniel on Sunday night and hung himself on Monday.

Ric has notes from the press conference here

Euan with an article from BBC News

ESPN.com story it just gets worse.

Bret Hart Interview

WWE has published a timeline of events and transcript of text messages sent from Benoit's cell phone.

Benoit's name linked in on-going steroid investigation

Court documents from 2003 wherein Nancy Benoit requested a restraining order and full custidy of son Daniel are here

A recap of Brian Christopher Lawler on some show nobody watches

Our friend Mark Danger recaps the same show

more news from Alex Marvez

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ric Gillespie said...

Thanks for mentioning my updates and coverage, ninewty-nine-percent of which was available before it could be found anywhere else.

6/25/2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger Ric Gillespie said...

I must thank you for making me see the importance of archiving my posts, which I now plan on doing in the future. You're tough, but fair, Casey, my man.

6/26/2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Casey Trowbridge said...

Well, to be a little more fair and a little less tough...I did get all of my Benoit info update from your site when I got home last night before I looked at anyone else. As I had stated a few times before, with you not archiving posts, when I wanted something from your site, I had to copy and paste...and quite honestly there was a lot of stuff last night. I just found it easier to cut and paste short URL's rather than paragraphs and paragraphs of texts.Well, to be a little more kind or fair and a little less tough, I did see all of what I linked to here, on your site first...as it was the first site I checked when I got home.

It really was just a choice I made, I could copy and paste several paragraphs off of your page or copy and paste URL's to other sites. I chose the latter for the sake of time, and my own laziness (quicker to paste an URL than a longer story.

I promise you though that if you archive stuff, I'll do more direct links to specific posts. In fact, to be honest I greatly prefer linking to your site over most for lots of reasons, and one of the less obvious ones is that yours are pretty uniform. All I really need is each posts number and that's it...there's not a lot of stuff in each url.

6/26/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Art Shimko said...

for those who think this tragedy will change wrestling, there wasn't much done after Eddie Guerrero's death except for bullshit wellness policy that was implemented and we can see how much that's done.

Of course this situation is more extreme than what happened with Eddie, but we'll have to see what becomes of this...

and I'm afraid that will be nothing.

6/26/2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger Casey Trowbridge said...

Art, judging by our conversation last week regarding the handling of death, I've got a hunch that you and I are in agreement on a lot of the main and secondary issues connected to this strange and horrifying story.

One of those issues where I know we agree because of what you wrote is regarding learning from this. Why should I expect WWE to learn anything from this when they didn't the last time? I could go in to this further but one reason I've not written much today is that I trust my voice more than my writing right now.

6/26/2007 3:17 PM  
Blogger Ric Gillespie said...

Fellas, I may be missing the point, here, but what even remotely indicates WWE should learn something from this? Unless I'm missing something (and it's entirely possible), this appears to stem from a problem within society, not from within pro wrestling.

6/26/2007 3:53 PM  
Blogger Casey Trowbridge said...

Ric, if it is a social problem and I'm not saying that it isn't then society needs to learn from this tragety.

However, WWE is apart of society so they must also learn. Saying, what can WWE learn, it is a social problem not a wrestling problem is to exclude WWE from a society that WWE is a part of by its influence on a segment of said society.

As for what lessons could be learned, I'm not going to discuss my feelings on that in this post. I have tried but I just can't seem to focus my thoughts.

However, if this is a social problem than yes, society and not just WWE has to learn lessons...but it is natural for us to discuss what the wrestling industry (and its leading company) has to learn because we cover that industry. I think the news media needs to learn about a million things here as well but I don't write about the journalism industry so that's why I brought WWE up before talking about what I think CNN and Fox News need to learn but likely won't.

6/26/2007 4:20 PM  
Blogger Ric Gillespie said...

My point was (and still is), as a problem with society, it makes no sense to single out one section of it (which you and Art have done), when it's a problem all of us could learn from.

6/26/2007 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home