Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Back after the Tornado.

As I mentioned in my last entry which was supposed to be about Pluto being stripped of its status as a planet, a tornado hit the Huron area and surrounding communities.

My story if you just:
So, I was sitting down to dinner, chili for those curious, and I heard the syrons. I didn't give them much thought but did wonder why they were going off. I ate my dinner and watched the Twins game on the Fox Sports Net station.

The syrons kept going off, but I was looking at stuff on the internet and I had just found that news story about Pluto when the police department broke in over the game, and mentioned the fact that a tornado had touched down West of town. Oh, BTW I had my TV on mute and the thing unmuted when the emergancy signal came through which is a good thing.

So, I had no sooner posted the Pluto story with none of my comments, and was geting ready to take Ginny and seek shelter in the bathroom when my brother showed up.

He took us, his girlfriend and their daughter and we started to head towards the shelter. Then we went the other direction then she tried to tell him to go back into town and when we turned around we saw a genormous tornado.

So we turned back around and gunned it until we came to a house. We asked for shelter and we got it from a nice lady her daughter and her father-in-law. We waited out the storm and then came home. Nothing was damaged really in my part of town, in fact my Sirius Satellite Radio antenna was still on the rough untouched.

I think most of the damage is west of Huron in the Wolsey area. This worries me a bit because that's where my parents house is. I have tried twice to get ahold of them but with no luck. I am hoping that this is just due to the power being out and nothing more. The house does have a basement so I'm not so worried about their safety, but I'd much prefer to hear from them.

I guess that's really all there is too it. The Wolsey area experienced enough damage that school has been called off tomorrow, and there will be another update after the commercial break.

Its weird because the day was relatively calm and then the syrons started blaring. I think next time, and I hope that isn't for quite some time but if there is a next time while I am living where I am, I will elect to make my way to the church across the street and take shelter. It has a basement, I am a member and I have a key. If I had known that my brother didn't know where we should go I would've suggested it as our first choice.

I'm fine, just a little tense. I would just like to note that I was blogging until the last possible second. If that doesn't deserve some ad clicks I don't know what does.

A new update, apparently 27 power transmitters are down in the Virgil-Wolsey area which would cover my parents house.

Just so you all know, I'm safe and assuming all close to me are as well and I'm thankful to God for that.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Art Shimko said...

glad you were safe man, hope your parents are doing well also.

8/24/2006 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home