Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Monday, February 19, 2007

02/19/07 MMA News, Notes, Rumors and Quotes

Lets take a look around the news and rumor mill shall we?

Note: All of the links should work now.

We've got quotes from Matt Hughes, Jake O'Brien, Michael Bisping and others. We also have a match for UFC 69, and an update on Joe Riggs and Nate Quarry, all that and more just by clicking on continue reading.



First we have a Houston Chronicle article by Steve Sievert looking at Rich Franklin and his quest to get back to the middleweight title
Franklin says he’d want another fight before facing Anderson Silva again. I think that’s smart, may as well delay your beating for as long as you can.

We also get a Follow-up from the Chronicle’s Brawl Sports Blog
Talking a little bit more about Franklin’s fight with Jason MacDonald at UFC 68.

Recently, Mike Chiapetta of NBCSports.com interviewed Jake O’Brien who had this to say about his fight with Heath Herring at Fight Night 8.

Q: Herring bad-mouthed you a little bit in the post-fight interview, basically saying that you didn't really come to fight. What do you think about his
comments?

A: He was a sore loser. It was supposed to be his big coming-out party and I ruined it, so he wasn't happy. If he wants to fight, he had plenty of time
to knock me out. In the first three minutes of the fight, we were standing up. And even after that, the referees stood us up how many times? Every time
we exchanged, he'd back up and I wouldn't chase him. He wanted me to chase him so he could hit me with a big shot, and I wouldn't, so he was frustrated.


It is hard for me not to agree with him that Herring was a sore loser that night. You can read the rest of the interview Here

Speaking of Heath Herring his next opponent will be Brad Imes at UFC 69



Next is an article on the man~!
Anderson Silva – Here Comes the Spider-Man
Serene Thio of MSN sports.

Michael Bisping had some interesting things to say in a recent interview, and here is what he said about Quinton Jackson.

But even though I enjoyed myself and the fights, I switched out of "fan mode" when Quinton Jackson made his Octagon debut.

Because he's in the same division as me, I took a very close interest in Jackson's win over Marvin Eastman. Because of his big win over Chuck Liddell in
Japan a couple of years back, Jackson's come to the UFC with this massive reputation but, to be honest, I've got to say I wasn't that impressed.

I'd probably give Jackson five out of 10 on his performance, if you forgive the pun.

Even allowing for the fact that Eastman is a very underrated fighter, I didn't think Rampage looked like this killer who has put the entire division on
red alert.

Jackson said he was nervous and I am sure he was – and maybe he'll show more of himself next time. I hope he does because I want my division to be the most
exciting one in the UFC.


You can read the rest of Bisping’s interview here

Matt Hughes was profiled in the St. Louis Post Dispatch and had this to say.

"I want to get my (welterweight) belt back from Georges, then I want to fight for the middleweight title," Hughes said. "I'd like to hold both belts at
the same time. I'd be the first person in the UFC to do that."


My suggestion for Hughes would be to not put the cart before the horse as it were, he still has to deal with GSP.
Small town guy is big time fighter

UFCJunkie.com says that Karo Parysian will fight again in May

Speaking of UFCJunkie.com, sponsored fighter and columnist and man of the brutal KO at the foot of Rashad Evans, Sean Salmon Talks about his next bout against Eric Schafer in May

One more from UFCJunkie.com where they have an update on Nate “The Rock” Quarry

MMAWeekly says that Frank Trigg will pull double duty planning to fight and then announce Pride 33 this weekend.

Joe Riggs to fight on next WEC show so says the rumors page for the show at MMAWeekly.com

I may have more later but that should be enough to tide you over for now.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home