Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Monday, March 05, 2007

Ultimate WrestleMania Card

I saw this idea a few years ago and have done it every year for awhile now. So with WrestleMania XXIII approaching, I thought I'd put together the anual Ultimate WrestleMania card.

If you want to play a long, follow the rules outlined below.

The Rules:
1. Pick 1 match from each wrestleMania and only 1 match.
2. No worker is allowed to wrestle more than one match.
3. No title can be defended more than once, and for the purposes of this the I.C. and U.S. titles are the same, so are the world and WWE titles and world and WWE tag team titles.
4. Come up with the best possible event.
5. No ignoring these rules and guidelines just to make it easier on yourself, no changes to the above are allowed!
6. You can click Here for results and a match listing for each of the prior 22 Mania events.

So, click Continue reading to see my Ultimate WrestleMania Card.



When I put this together I wanted the best Wrestling card possible, with a mixture of historical moments and I wanted to get as many key WWF/WWE stars on to this event as I possibly could. It is quite the challenge when you realize that picking 1 title match may lock out certain wrestlers from appearing at all.

WrestleMania I: $15,000 Slam Match – Big John Stud Vs. Andre the Giant
This was an easy choice, it gets Andre on the show, in a match that was a showcase match on this card.

WrestleMania II: Terry and Haas Funk Vs. The Junkyard Dog and Tito Santana
It was Simple, either use this or the Tag Title match from this show and I wanted the tag title belts for later on so this gets the nod.

WrestleMania III: The Killer Bees Vs. Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik
In years past, I had used Don Miraco and Bob Orton Vs. Tom Zenk and Rick Martel off of this show. However, after the Iron Sheik’s rant on Brian Blair there is just no way not to include this one.

WrestleMania IV: Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat Vs. Greg Valentine
This gets Steamboat on the show, although if you want to say that this was technically a title match because it was in the tournament, then you may scratch this one and put the Islanders and Bobby Heenan Vs. The British Bulldogs and Koko B. Ware in its place.

WrestleMania V: Mr. Perfect Vs. The Blue Blazer
Did you think I was going to pick Dino Bravo Vs. Ronnie Garvin instead?

WrestleMania VI: Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts Vs. Ted Dibiase
I could’ve tried to get Demolition on the card at this point as they were a personal favorite act of mine, but they wrestled Andre on this show and he’s already being used. So, I decided to go with Jake Roberts Vs. Ted Dibiase instead.

WrestleMania VII: Retirement Match – Ultimate Warrior Vs. Macho King Randy Savage
This is the first match I pencil in whenever I do this card. I love the match, and the angle and could not have another match from this show in its place. That does eliminate Savage-Steamboat from III and Savage-Flair from VIII from being considered unfortunately.

WrestleMania VIII: Big Bossman, Jim Duggan, Virgil and Sgt. Slaughter Vs. The Nasty Boys, The Mounty and Repo-man
It was either this match, or Tatanka Vs. Rick Martel.

WrestleMania IX: The Headshrinkers Vs. The Steiner Brothers
It was either this match or Crush Vs. Doink the Clown.

WrestleMania X: Intercontinental Title - Ladder Match – Razor Ramon Vs. Shawn Michaels
When it comes to this show there are 2 possibilities, Shawn Michaels Vs. Razor Ramon or Bret Hart Vs. Owen Hart. I picked this match so that the Intercontinental title could be represented and plus, I needed to save Bret Hart for a match later.

WrestleMania XI: Bam Bam Bigelow Vs. Lawrence Taylor
Another 1 that I include immediately, this has the advantage of being a high-profile match and it has the advantage of not swallowing up the use of one of the championships.

WrestleMania XII: Hollywood Backlot Brawl - Rowdy Roddy Piper Vs. Golddust
It was either this match or Undertaker Vs. Diesel. I wanted to get Piper on the card and I suppose I could’ve used Piper Vs. Adrian Adonis from WrestleMania III but the Sheik/Volkoff match has now achieved much more mythical standards. I also could’ve used Mr. T Vs. Piper from WrestleMania II but really the question was do I want Kevin Nash on this show or Kane, and you’ll see that Kane won out over Big Sexy.

WrestleMania XIII: Bret Hart Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
This is an easy one, it gets Austin on the card without gobbling up one of the titles, which isn’t a bad thing but his other matches were all against people I had already used or were planning to use somewhere else. Plus, it benefits from the fact that it was the best match on the show and really sent Austin up to that next level so it is really the best choice I think I could’ve made.

WrestleMania XIV: The Undertaker Vs. Kane
How can you have an WrestleMania ultimate card and not have Undertaker on it? I didn’t want his title victory over Sid on this show because that would’ve killed the use of the title and the use of Bret Hart and Steve Austin. I didn’t want to use his matches from WM’s 7 or 11. It really came down to this, WrestleMania XII and WrestleMania X7. I needed HHH for something else so it was between Kane and Nash. Kane won out.

WrestleMania XV: Mick Foley Vs. The Big Show
I wanted Bart Gunn Vs. Butterbean because that match makes me giggle every time I watch it. However, Mick Foley would’ve been left off of this card completely if not for this match so it is the one I chose.

WrestleMania XVII: World Tag Titles – The Hardyz Vs. The Dudleyz Vs. Edge and Christian
I picked this so I could get the tag titles on the show. I also wanted to get these 3 teams on so it was either this or the TLC match from WM XVII but I had something else planned for that match so this one got the nod.

WrestleMania X7: Kurt Angle Vs. Chris Benoit
It gets both men on the card it is a great match and it doesn’t eat up a title shot.

WrestleMania X8: Hulk Hogan Vs. The Rock
This is why I couldn’t use any of Austin Vs. Rock. It was a historic match and it got both men on to the show and it kept the world title match free.

WrestleMania XIX: Women’s Title - Trish Stratus Vs. Victoria Vs. Jazz
Probably the toughest show for me to take a match from. I used Michaels so he Vs. Jericho was out, so was Rock./Austin and Vince Vs. Hogan. I picked the women’s title match because it hadn’t been represented yet.

WrestleMania XX: Brock Lesnar Vs. Bill Goldberg
Another tough show to pick. However, the MSG crowd made this one of the great things I watch all-time, all my life so this is the match chosen. Yes, I know Austin is the special ref but that’s not him wrestling twice so it is ok.

WrestleMania XXI: Eddie Guerrero Vs. Rey Mysterio
I don’t believe this was for a title, if it is however I’m toast and have to come up with a different plan and that will not be easy. I think what I would do is switch Mania XV from Foley-Show to Butterbean-Gunn and make Show-Akibono the pick from this event. This gets both Eddie and Rey on the card.

WrestleMania XXII: World Heavyweight Title: John Cena Vs. HHH
Wanted Cena on the show as the modern WWE star. It was tough as all of his mania appearances have been in title matches. However, this was the most special of the bunch, and plus HHH had still been available and the title was still free so that’s your final match.

The most noteworthy absenses here were Ric Flair, Batista, Diesel and Chris Jericho. The Cruiserweight, European and Hardcore Titles were not represented in matches either. But there you have my Ultimate Wrestlemania Card. I think next year this card will remain as is and Lashley Vs. Umaga will probably be the WM XXIII entry.

So, who is willing to take the Ultimate WrestleMania event challenge? Lets see how different our events can be?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home