Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Friday, January 26, 2007

Raiders News Roundup for 01/26/2007

This is sort of a new OCC feature as well, where I look around the net for what's being written about the Raiders, and give my take on it. I'm not sure how often I'll do this feature it will depend on the volume of stories.


First we have this Contra Costa Times article
reporting that Greg Napp was offered the position of offensive coordinator.
As the article states this hire might not happen as Napp may not like the idea of coming to a team where Lane Kiffin will be the play caller. Also the article notes that Tom Cable the Atlanta Offensive Line coach the past few seasons has been offered that position with the Raiders.
Judging by the fact they gave up 72 sacks last season a lot of things on the offensive line need to change.
I think though that even if Napp does not take this job that the fact it was offered to him suggests that the West Coast offense might make its return to the Raiders next season. I think the days of the 7 step drop are over, at least I hope so.

On to the second article and final for today:
Coaching Receivers will age Kiffin
San Francisco Examiner columnist Glenn Dickey says that dealing with Randy Moss and Jerry Porter will be Kiffin's toughest challenge. I don't necessarily think that is going to be true long-term but it most definitely is in the short run. He's got to convince both men that changes are coming and that it is a new day. Jerry Porter basically had a lost season due to his feud with Art Shell. I don't know which one of the 2 will be a tougher sell for Kiffin but from what I've read he's a master recruiter and with Moss and Porter he'll have to be.
Dickey also suggests as others have that 1 or both of those players need to leave. I'm not against this either but don't see it happening. The fact is that Al Davis personally loves both men and he's a players owner. This is not something that will change any time soon.

So there you have it. Kind of a light day but that's a good day to start something like this. As I said I can't promise that this will be a daily or weekly feature, it will be periodic that is all.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home