Web oldcountrycorner.blogspot.com
Vote for the Podcast

Sunday, September 24, 2006

OCC Aftermath: UFC 63 Hughes Vs. Penn

Introducing a new feature to the OCC, the aftermath column. Where I take a broader look at the show that I just watched. Its hard to give my thoughts during the show while live blogging because of trying to keep up with things.



Fight of the Night: Matt Hughes Vs. B.J. Penn
I thought this was just a dramatic fight that the crowd was completely into and that there were moments when I was on the edge of my seat wondering if Hughes might make me look bad for picking him. Penn's conditioning or lack of it really bit him in the ass tonight.

Worst Fight: David Loiseau Vs. Mike Swick
The crowd booed a lot during this fight and compared to some of the other fights its not hard to understand why. I think that Swick thought he had won the first 2 rounds and tried to coast in the third where Loiseau started to take over. It was a little too late for Loiseau but at least he was trying all 3 rounds. 29-28 was the right call in my opinion.

Shocker of the night: Joe Lauzon Vs. Jens Pulver.
I don't know of anyone though I'm sure they are out there perhaps Joe Lauzon's relatives that picked him to beat Pulver tonight. This may put a monkey wrench in UFC's plans to put Pulver on Ultimate Fighter and build him up for a shot at the Light Weight title.

Knockout of the Night: Lauzon knocks out Pulver.
This didn't have a lot of competition but in terms of what this does for the future that may have been the punch heard round the world. Ok, so maybe not that huge but it surprised some people not the least of whom is Jens Pulver himself.

Thoughts on the show overall: I've got to give this show a big thumbs up. Even bigger than last month which I also liked. The fights were better across the board and while I love seeing Chuck Liddell manhandle someone I'd sooner watch Penn Vs. Hughes again than Liddell Vs. Sobral.
Only 1 fight that I thought was boring and the dark fights were entertaining as well.

TNA can't possibly be as good tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home